Exempt Sources

We track exempt sources for two reasons: 1) So they don't end up in the
trash, at the local dump, with our name on it, and 2) even though they
are exempt from radiation control regulations, DOT regs. probably still
apply (they do to ours.) We have a simple tracking system, and verbally
tell people involved about the controls necessary for the devices.
Fortunately, the people involved with the exempt sources are generally
the same individuals handling specifically licensed devices, so they
understand our concerns. Some of out exempt sources are large metal
structures containing <3% natural thorium that could conceivably go to
a metal recycler. Can you say, "contaminated smelter" boys and girls? I
knew you could.

Donald P. Mercado, O/47-20, B/106      PROFS Nickname: DMERCADO
Radiation Safety Officer        Internet: Don@LMSC.Lockheed.com
Lockheed Missiles & Space Co., Inc.         Tel. (408) 742-0759
Sunnyvale, Ca 94089                         Fax. (408) 742-0611