Re: Tracking Exempt Sources

NO, we do not track exit signs, smoke detectors, copy machines, etc

But we do track exempt quantity sources used for lab practicums, liquid
scintilation counter sources (usually Ra-226), etc

Rhode Island is an agreement state, and their philosophy has been"if you
have a broad scope license, nothing is exempt." I guess their rationale is
that Professor X could (in theory) buy a whole quantity of exempt sources,
and thus exceed our license!!! (I guess that's not possible in practise,

I also agree with the person who said that another reason we keep
track of it is so that it does not end up in the trash and cause a PR problem.

Ninni Jacob
Radiation Safety officer
University of Rhode Island
(401)789-9391