Tracking Exempt Sources

I'm almost afraid to ask for opinions/experiences and I'm not sure if this
topic has been touched upon here before.  Nonetheless, what is the
general consensus regarding the control of exempt quantities (10CFR
30.14, 30.18, 30.70, 30.71) if your campus, etc. has a broadscope license?
(i.e., button sources for instrumentation lab practicums)

Do you control authorization for purchase and use, track them on
inventory, etc.?
Has the NRC hasseled you in this regard??
If so whats the applicable reg.s??
If exempt or general licensed materials have to be tracked under
your broadscope license, does this mean control of exit signs(H-3), copy
machines (Po-210), smoke detectors (Am-241), old Professor Gumby's pace
maker (Pu-238) -- where does it end??

I hope there are resounding NOs to the above.