NRC Comment Period About Enforcement

I have been requested to post the following for all who may be interested
(which should be all of us)....

The NRC has requested public comment about thier enforcement policy. This
request was published in the Federal register, Vol 59, No. 162 from
Tuesday August 23 1994. This item has also been mentioned in the October
HPS Newsletter. Just a few excerpts......

" Are enforcement sanctions effective in obtaining comprehensive and
lasting corrective action, ie., does the time and effort spent in
developing responses to enforcement actions result in a more thought out
approach for corrective action and implementation of action than would
otherwise occur?"

" Has the NRC's past use of sanctions contributed to the desire to
maintain compliance?"

Over all there are 7 areas that they are requesting comment in,

1) Purpose and Objectives of the NRC Enforcement Program
2) Severity Levels of Violations
3) Enforcement Conferences
4) Notices of Violations
5) Civil Penalties
6) Exercise of Discretion
7) Violations Involving Willfulness and Actions Against Persons for
Wrongdoings

Here is our chance to at least make our selves heard, though the cynic in
me says that they probably have already made up thier minds and are only
going through the motions...........

The comment period is through october 24th....

Pat Beyer
Medical College of Wisconsin

As always i have an opinion and it is mine......