Re: Emergency Response Procedures

Frank,

Since I don't remember the episode you mentioned I'm assuming that it
happened at MR not UC, but we have had similar occurances at the UofC.
Once the Fire Department takes control in an incident it frequently
becomes a media event.  I'm not sure there is a solution since the
media monitor emergency channels.  In a fire or a chemical spill that
presents a fire hazard the fire department probably has to be notified
immediately.  In a spill of radioactive material it would be better if
they were not notified in most cases.  Even if radiation safety personnel
were not available (and we usually are) I would rather see the Illinois
Department of Nuclear Safety called, and that is the instruction I
give my technical staff if they feel they are over their heads.  Still,
there are hundreds if not thousands of people that might be tangentally
involved in an emergency and the first thing most people will do is call
911.  I would like to hear from more people about their experiences with
emergency responses, especially those that have had success in establishing
a controlled response.

Dale E. Boyce
dale@radpro.uchicago.edu

Again since we are talking about things that someone might take
exception to (to which someone might take exception) these are
my own opinions and do not reflect any input from my employer.