Re: Disposal of radioactive animal carcasses

In regards to animal carcasses containing radioactive materials, we
currently incinerate all animal carcasses. Dependent on the nuclide
involved, we do some decay in storage before incineration ( mostly
carcasses containing microspheres) which necessitate the storage of large
amounts of carcasses (@ 400 40lb dogs). We have found that the cost has
been favorable because of the saving in effluent reduction through decay
prior to incineration. H3 and C14 we just incinerate right away. To
calculate the effuluent we worse case it and estimate thaty 100 % of the
activity is released. We also estimate that 100% stays in the ash and
decay it for disposal accordingly. As we do not have the facilities and
budget to perform accurate testing of effluent release and residual
activity in the ash and because we have tailored our waste stream to keep
us within the part 20 limits, this works well for us. AS the NRC didn't
have a problem with it, we don't either. I realize that its not very
scientific but you make do with what you can.

Pat Beyer
Medical College of Wisconsin