Re: Course announcements- Reply

>>          information is an alternative. Leave the pricing information
>>          to be discovered by those curious enough to make the phone
>>          call.(at that time they can voice their approval/disapproval

Personally - whether or not I know the price would likely determine whether
or not I make the call!  If it is too expensive - why bother - AND when I
don't see the price listed - I usually assume it is too expensive!

>>          Question: How would such an advertisement have been viewed
>>          if it were a response to a request for information? Such as
>>          for training videos which often appear on the net.

VERY good point!

So far this has been an interesting thread.  It appears nothing but total
exclusion will satisfy the No's - but the rest seem satisfied with
"moderation".

In absence of a ruling by Hector - I suspect it will "sawtooth".  It will be
tolerated in moderation an grow until it hits a point where many object - or
leave (THAT would be most unfortunate) - then it will decrease ... to slowly
ramp up again.

I DO, however, see a difference between a third party "announcement" and an
"ad" by the seller.

Also - how about ads for used equipment, book etc.??  That hasn't been
touched here.

I suppose separated listservers would be most like the BBS conference or
message base modality.  HOWEVER I would think that if a listserver carried
for profit ads - then it should collect fees for the service.

THAT is for this listserver.

As for the internet as a whole - it is already going hoeplessly commercial -
IF the internet BECOMEs the Info SuperHighway - then the internet as we know
it will die and become loaded with commercials.  If it opens as a parallel
entity - then the current internet may survive and settle back to the way it
was.

I'd say the the nature of any given listserver or news group depends upon
its moderator.