Course Announcements - Reply

T. Fox asked to compare the course announcement to responses
to requests for info on training videos.  That's a good point.
First, usually, responses are by users, not vendors and are honest
and unbiased opinions.  Second they are solicited.  None of us
solicited course information.  Personnally I have no interest in
most courses because they generally cover what I already do or if
they don't they cover what I am unlikely to do.  Also I would have
difficulty funding one.  I look at this issue a little like junk mail
and telephone solicitation.  I glance at junk mail, find it generally
unobtrusive and occasionally may even read some and bite.  I will not
talk to a telephone solicitor.  I always answer by saying we don't
accept solicitations at this phone (home phone).

Training videos, as well as courses, and other services and
products can reach us through the HPS newsletter and journal
or other forms fo advertizing.  I beleive I have received adds for
the courses announced as well as seen them or similar in the
newsletter.  I think responses to requests by vendors should be
very limited, like "I will call you or send you literature on our
courses, videos and any body interested can reach me at..."

To the point of regualtion of the Info Superhighway...I saw a sign on
a liquor store on a state highway which read "The supply of government
exceeds the demand."

My opinions only.

Peter Vernig, vernig.peter@forum.va.gov