Re: Annual audits

Please note that this is NOT an official policy statement for Texas.

There is no such thing as one correct way to do the required audit.
The audit is a management function that should be independant of the
radiation safety staff.  This is not to say that staff should not
supply much of the legwork/answers, but, rather, staff does not
control or direct the audit.  It would appear that the Radiation
Safety Committee would be the appropriate auditing body.  Smaller
institutions may need an outside consultant.  However, it may be
reasonable for even large, well-staffed, programs to bring in an
outside auditor "every so often" for a fresh, independant, review.

(Note: I strongly encourage the HPS or the CRSO to get involved in
the practice of providing program audits of peer institutions.
It is good for both the auditor and auditee to have a professional,
outside opinion).

The audit should be a comprehensive review of the radiation safety
program.  The final report should be sufficient to verify (1) the
program is in compliance with the appropriate regulations; (2) ...
with the license document (including tie-down committments); (3)
that the ALARA program is working; and (4) that the licensed
authorization and procedures are adequate and appropriate for the
institution's needs.

The first are the reactive parts: "is everything working?".  The last
is the proactive end of the audit: "how can things be made better?"

I could go on, but I think you get my drift.