RE: Offsite Release Calculations

TO: Donald P. Mercado
    Radiation Safety Officer
    Lockheed Missiles & Space Co., Inc.

Don,

I tried to email this to you directly as you've requested but it kept getting
bounced back...

I hope you got some useful responses from other RADSAFErs on this subject. I
don't know if this helps, but here is my $0.25 input.

I went through most of my cardboard boxes in my garage looking for a copy of the
safety analysis I did back in 1981-82 while I was working for EG&G Idaho.  I had
to do a safety analysis of a proposed test reactor facility modification.  One
of the area of concern was a potential for fire in the proposed fuel storage
area.  Alas, I could not locate the report.

If my memory serves me well, I based my calculations on data presented in a
DOD(?) report.  I believe the DOD study dated from mid to late 1970s.  The
investigators were trying find out the radiological hazard of transporting
depleted uranium penetrators (i.e. anti-armor shells).  They postulated that a
train carrying depleted uranium penetrators derailed and caught fire.  They
stacked bunch of wood and placed about a half-dozen penetrators on top of the
pile and set the whole thing on fire while they had a cascade air impactor going
full blast downwind from the fire (try doing this kind of experiment now!).
Only a small fraction of uranium actually burned.

Since you work for Lockeed, I'd imagine you have access to DOE and DOD
libraries.  I hope you can locate the DOD report.

Good Luck!

Tosh Ushino
SONGS
ushinot@songs.sce.com