Re: indust. radiography courses?

First, there are three sets of criteria for IR qualifications:

1) Classroom

To a large extent, it depends on where the person is.  There are
several schools that provide training throughout the country, as well
as several consultants who provide classroom training.  Also, of
course, several companies can provide their own training.

We maintain a list of authorized providers, but the majority are
obviously in Texas.

2) On the Job Training

This is done by the licensee (IR company)

3) Certification testing

This is a written exam.  It is given by several regulatory Agencies
and the ASNT.  However, to my knowledge, they all use the exam
provided by Texas on a contract basis.

NOTE:  The regulatory requirements are NOT THE SAME as ASNT
certification.  ASNT is primarily interested in how well you do
radiography.  The regulatory Agencies want to know if you can do
it safely.  ASNT has worked with the regulatory Agencies so that they
can be a certified provider, but it is an extension of their normal
certification process.  I've been out of the IR loop for awhile, so
ASNT may have modified their certification program to incorporate the
regulatory requirements.

Wes

> From: SKOMAND@EHS.AB.UMD.EDU
> To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       Re: indust. radiography courses?
>
> Date sent:      Tue, 7 Feb 95 11:49:41 -0600
> Send reply to:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From:           melissa@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu (M. Woo)
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:        indust. radiography courses?
>
> Hello again!
>
> Does anyone know of courses designed to cover the material needed for
> industrial radiography certification?  I just received a call from a
> company in Illinois that needs to certify its people, but could not get any
> real information on available courses when he called the regulatory agency
> that is enforcing the regulation. (cough)
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Melissa

Wesley M. Dunn, C.H.P., Administrator
Licensing Branch                        512-834-6688
Texas Bureau of Radiation Control       512-834-6690 (fax)
1100 W. 49th Street                     wdunn@brc1.tdh.texas.gov
Austin, Texas  78756