I-131 - Reply

  Could all of you stand one more opinion about I-131 therapies?

Back in Georgia, we used dedicated call buttons, telephones, and
blood pressure cuffs.  When we prepped the room, standard ward equipment
was unplugged and removed and replaced by ours.  It was conspicuously
marked as rad material, so ward personnel were not quick to borrow it.
Also, when it came time to decon, these items were among the last to be
removed.

The only hassle we had was when the hospital decided to upgrade and
rewired all the call box and telephone connectors.  Getting the ward
to part with new phones, etc was interesting.

I liked the plastic backed paper rolls for covering the floors.  We used
chux only for covering night stands and bed rails.  Doorknobs and sink
knobs were covered and taped with latex gloves.

The hardest areas to decon?  The shower and toilet.  Never failed.

Standard Disclaimer:  These are my opinions alone, and do not reflect
the official views of the US Army or the US Government.

     * JOHN E. APERANS, RRPT                           *
     *     Nuclear Effects Directorate                 *
     *     US Army White Sands Missile Range, NM 88002 *
     *     ATTN: Health Physics                        *
     * FAX: (505) 678-7410  VOICE: (505) 678-2064      *
     * e-mail: japerans@wsmr-emh81.army.mil            *
     If Teflon is nonstick, what keeps it in the pan?