Re: Press Release by Browner defending EPA risk judgements

> Date:          Thu, 9 Feb 95 16:24:44 -0600
> From:          Louis H Iselin <iselin@alpha.nuceng.ufl.edu>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       Press Release by Browner defending EPA risk judgements

> Those of you who have not yet sent comments to EPA
> may want to add a reference to this in your letter.

> Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 16:56:26 -0500
> Sender: epa-press@unixmail.rtpnc.epa.gov
> From: GROUP PRESS 202-260-4355 <PRESS@epamail.epa.gov>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <epa-press@unixmail.rtpnc.epa.gov>
> Subject: PR STATEMENT BY BROWNER ON HOUSE MARKUP OF THE "RISK" BILL
> FEB. 9, 1995
>
>                                   STATEMENT BY
>                        EPA ADMINISTRATOR CAROL M. BROWNER
>                                        ON
>                         HOUSE MARKUP OF THE "RISK" BILL
>

> The risk bill purports to be an application of sound science; in
> truth, it perverts not just science but also common sense.  It
> mandates a costly, procedural maze that will delay or stop the
> public-health protections traditionally enjoyed by all
> Americans.  Under the provisions of the bill recently marked up by
> the House, EPA could not have banned lead from gasoline or
> dangerous pesticides like DDT.  The House Committee actions to date
> dictate new, costly procedures that would supersede all
> existing laws.  This means 20 years of protections for our children
> and our air, our land and our water are being rolled back in the
> dead of night without even a thoughtful debate in Congress.  Risk
> analysis is an important tool that is already used to
> assure all major rules are scientifically justified.  Requiring it
> for every single action is neither fair, effective nor affordable.
> We strongly urge Congress to rethink this hastily drafted and
> potentially detrimental measure.
>
> Nothing like favoring your science over everyone else's.

> Louis H Iselin, MEng, EI, ABHP-Part 1    ISELIN@ALPHA.NucEng.UFL.EDU
> "I'm going to build a geothermal power plant from a cement truck,
> some plutonium, and a paper plate.  Do we have any paper plates,
> Nanny?" -- Baby Gonzo      <Live & Learn, Die & Forget It>       <*>
Has the quality of life increased since the founding of the EPA or
just the cost.  Were we Americans dying like flies circa 1970?  I
think the tenor of the announcement smacks more of concern for
funding than health. Scare tactics have worked in the past.
However, I would be interested in reviewing a copy of the proposed
legislation, being curious and all.

Russ
cmeyer@brc1.tdh.texas.gov
(512)834-6688