Re: Recommended Changes to 10CFR35

>> Date:          Fri, 10 Feb 95 11:35:26 -0600
>> From:          Jerrold Bushberg Ph.D. University of California, Davis
>> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
>> Subject:       Recommended Changes to 10CFR35
>
>>   We were recently visited by a group from the National Academy of
Sciences (NAS), Institute of Medicine (IOM): "Committee For Review and
Evaluation of the Medical Use Program of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission".
The NRC has requested from the IOM a detailed independent review and
evaluation of the adequacy of the medical use program and recommendations
for change.  The IOM has established a 16-member committee of experts to
conduct a 24-month study.  The project has three main goals

1. Examination of the overall risks associated with the use of ionizing
radiation in medicine.

2.  Examination of the broad policy issues that underlie the regulation of
the medical use of radionuclides.

3.  A critical assessment of the current framework for the regulation of the
medical uses of byproduct material.

I found the committee members I spoke with very open minded and in need of
good suggestions/perspectives from the various affected communities
(including health physicists).  I would encourage interested parties to
contact Eric Caplan Ph.D. (Ecaplan@nas.edu, a research associate at the NAS
and staff to this committee) to obtain the details on the scope of the
committees' activities and to share your points of view.  It would also be a
healthy exercise to post those views to radsafe for the
benefit/consideration of others.

c:Eric Caplan

     Jerrold T. Bushberg Ph.D.
     jtbushberg@ucdavis.edu