Re: Badge for X-ray machine users?

>>I would like to know if you issue TLD badge to the X-ray machine users on
>>campus.

YES

>>Most of the X-ray machines we have are used for engineering research
>>and the users are unlikely to receive a greater-than-10% exposure.

TRUE - but the FDA, BRH, DHW - or whatever they are this week ---- has a
position that although the above is true - historically the film badge has
been a FIRST indication of an occurance.

Personnaly I would strongly suspect that this may NOT be as true for a TLD
badge!

Since we have gone TLD I have looked into unbadging these people ...... but
its a politically touchy issue.

>>What about ALARA?
?????????

>>Any body had experiece with the X-ray user who ever received high dose?

Does exposure sufficient to require amputation of 3 finger (1977) qualify??

In this case the film badge was somewhat helpful in time and motion
reconstruction.

>>We also use "area badge" in X-ray labs and other labs because sometimes
>>the users prefer it or there are too many users (of course, with low
>>exposure rate). Any comments?

We have active, sensitive, large area low energy alarming area monitors
(with interlock capabilties) at all or analytical machines.  They are "home
built" following a design developed by Argonne Lab.  Only very recently have
we been able to achieve cost savings on these by getting a manufacturer to
make them commercially available (Health Physics Instruments).

ONE large lab with many users ALSO has an area badge --- it has never had a
reading.

BTW - we also DO NOT ALLOW an open beam configuration and ALL our enclosures
are redundantly interlocked and the interlock are on a VERY SPECIFIC and
COMPLETE 6 month testing schedule - ie. NOT just having the user open the
door and see if it shuts off!!