Re: Staffing in the rad safety program

Date:          Sat, 8 Apr 95 16:51:10 -0500
From:          xug2@rpi.edu (Xie George Xu)
To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Subject:       Staffing in the rad safety program

hi, RADSAFERS:

Our Radiation Safety Committee chairman just called a meeting to
discuss the
staffing problem in our radiation safety program. I need your inputs
on how
best to convince decision makers (i.e.,the university Vice President
for
Finance who has been trying to cut the budget) to replace a staff who
retired.
It seems that the budget is gone with the person. I would also like to
collect
info on how many staff you have in your program and the size of the
university
including number of labs, med. school, reator, etc. I agree with the
idea that
we can always use work-study students who are paid by the
goverment, not the
university. However, how much we can depend on the work-study
students? I have
found it very hard to convince someone to re-invest this money when
they do
not really appreciate the amount of work we do.

Your comment on this may be very helpful to me. Thanks a lot in
advance!

George Xu
RSO
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Hi George,

Your Administration may be interested in the fun we had here at the
University of Southern California in the 1980's.  Due to lack of staffing
and, in general, lack of support of administration, the California
Attorney General filed a 168 count CRIMINAL suit against the
University and 10 researchers.  This, of course, was before my time.

Since then, the staff increased from about four to eleven FTE's.  Our
Program consists of about 130 Authorized Faculty performing the
usual medical research.  Our License covers a small cancer hospital
with Nuclear Medicine, Radiology and Radiation Oncology
Departments.

Chuck Pickering, RSO
USC

This correspondence is solely the thoughts of the author and not the
employer.