Re: Staffing in the rad safety program

Good morning!  I'm posting this publicly instead of responding directly to
George Xiu because I'm interested in seeing what some of you may have to say
about your staffing.  The statistics for the program here at Princeton:  5
health physicists and technicians (3 M.S. level health physicists and 2 techs).
One of the techs does much more computer-related work than HP work.  These 5
people work in the University Office of Occupational Health & Safety.  In
addition, our Molecular Biology Department has hired a Health & Safety Manager
who is a health physicist.  No med school, no reactor.  1 cyclotron (not used
much these days due to funding problems), 1 compact infrared free electron
laser.  35 - 40 other radiation-producing machines.  40 - 45 active Authorized
Users (with a few hundred radiation workers at any one time).

On paper our staffing has remained at the same level since the 70's, but in
fact it's gone down because one of our technician's duties now involve so much
computer work for the whole office and because so much of my time is spent on
waste issues and that wasn't true in the 70's.  We have been pleading for addi-
tional staff for a number of years.  The addition of the H & S Manager in the
Mol Bio Department to help organize health and safety in their labs has been a
saving factor.

Sue Dupre/Health Physicist/Princeton University