Re: Bad Press: New England Scho

I spoke with the person who wrote the article. He wanted to show that the
schools did not have a strong radiation protection program.  To do this
he requested the inspection reports since January 1989 for all MA
colleges and Universities but did not include the affiliated medical
institutes. He counted all the violations and presented them as a number
to show there was a problem.  For instance we were cited for 'unsecured
RAM' in an environmental instrumentation lab; the awning window was open
so one could have climbed in the window (if they were very small) and
looked for a source.

He was also very interested in the interim storage program,
administration support and student attitudes.

I also hear that he may of got the idea for the story from an activist
group opposed to the MA LLRW siting process.  These groups are against
interim storage and siting.

Joseph P. Ring
Harvard University
Email Joseph_ring@harvard.edu