Separate licenses?

     Radsafers!

     A researcher has raised the question of why we don't have two separate
     licenses, one for the Research Institute and one for the clinical
     aspects, with the premise being if one "arm" was bad the other would
     still be able to operate. We presently operate under a broad scope
     license with about 80 approved users and Part 35 medical uses.

     I'm curious how other institutions are structured and if there are any
     lessons learned which may prove beneficial for us. I'm looking at the
     management chain and financial independence issues and have yet to
     contact the NRC regarding their input. Any comments/questions welcome.
     Thank you.

     Judy McKenna
     Director, Radiation Safety
     Cleveland Clinic Foundation