Re: The currently accepted symbol for liter (l or L?)

>I would appreciating hearing from anyone on this list who is aware of
>international standards/documents which recommend the current symbol
>for litre.  It is a non-SI unit, so there is quite a bit of
>inconsistency around the world.
>
>I have seen a 1998 IUPAC document which recommends either l or L...
               ^^^^
Wow.  Delivered by Dr. Who via Tardis Express?  ;-)

>(But IUPAC is the same organisation which decreed that sulphur should
>be spelt sulfur!!!  :-)   )
>Other documentation I have seen recommends cursive l.

I use a cursive l in pen, but in electronic text that may be a non-cursive
l, or even L.

Some documents I am looking at (lab procedures) use L for liter and mL for
milliliter.

Hawley's chemical dictionary asserts it may be either.

Hope this helps.  (Phat chance)

John
*John DeLaHunt, EH&S      * 1125 Glen Avenue          *
*The Colorado College     * Colorado Springs, CO 80905*
*jdelahunt@cc.colorado.edu* VOX:  (719)389-6678       *
*        Owner:           * FAX:  (719)635-3177       *
*hazmat-l@cc.colorado.edu *                           *
***********This message is hereby disclaimed***********