Re: Separate Licenses

Do any of you know of a broad scope license holder that had his (her)
whole program shut down because of something a single user or group of
users did wrong? It seems to me that a regulator would shut down a broad
scope license operation only if there were systemic problems in the
control of radioactive material, not because some Bozo lost a sealed
source containing 100 uCi of Ni-63. We have a broad scope license, and
have shut down major portions of it because of some stupid things the
users have done, which the regulators have looked askance at, but
without basic control problems, I don't see it happening. Besides, the
regulators granted the responsibility that goes with a broad scope
license to the institution. If there are problems with the institution,
maybe the regulators should review their license issuing process.

Yes, at one time I was a regulator, but I'm feeling much better now.

Donald P. Mercado, O/47-20, B/106      PROFS Nickname: DMERCADO
Radiation Safety Officer        Internet: Don@LMSC.Lockheed.com
Lockheed Missiles & Space Co., Inc.         Tel. (408) 742-0759
Sunnyvale, Ca 94089                         Fax. (408) 742-0611