Jim Turner's Book

Several people have asked me for more information on Jim Turner's new
boo The following ig is provided:

Title:  "Atoms, Radiation and Radiatino Protection"  Second Edition

Publisher:  John Wiley & Sons, INC.

Copyright:  1995

ISBN:  0-471-59581-0

	I don't know the cost.

	I have not seen The first edition so I am not sure how to compare it..
I like this edition.  There are 16 Chapters and Five Appendicies.  Each chapter
has suggested reading, problems and answers to the problems (even numbered, etc)

	Chapter titles are:

	1. About Atomic Physics and Radiation
	2. Atomic Structure and Atomic Radiation
	3. The Nucleus and Nuclear Radiation
	4. Radioactive Decay
	5. Interaction of Heavy Charged Particles with Matter
	6. Interaction of Electrons with Matter
	7. Phenomena Associated with Charged-Particle Tracks
	8. Interaction of Photons with Matter
	9. Neutrons, Fission, and Criticality
	10. Methods of Radiation Detection
	11. Statistics
	12. Radiation Dosimetry
	13. Chemical and Biological Effects of Radiation
	14. Radiation Protection Criteria and Exposure Limits
	15. External Radiation Protection
	16.  Internal Dosimetry and Radiation Protection

	Appendix A:  Physical Constants
	Appendix B:  Units and Conversino Factors
	Appendix C:  Some Basic Formulas of Physics
	Appendix D:  Selected Data on Nuclides
	Appendix E:  Statistical Derivations

	The text is 557 pages long.

	I have know Jim for several years and have a high respect for him
as a person.  This book is one of the finest Radiation Protection Texts ever
written.  I plan to use it in my Radiation Protection course.  IN the past I
used Cember "Introduction to Health Physics"

	Hope this helps.

	JERRY THOMAS
	thomas@usuhsb.usuhs.mil
	301-295-3246