Re: Occ Dose

>>From 10CFR 20 :
>	Occupational dose means the dose received by an individual in a
>restricted area or in the course of employment in which the individual's
>assigned duties involve exposure to radiation and to radioactive material
>from licensed and unlicensed
>---(Some important text from the end of the definition:)
>...does not include ... or as a member of the general public.
>
>My question is then, can you get a "public dose" in a restricted area?

Certainly.

>does this mean that tours, visitors and emergency response personnel
>are all receiving an occupational dose if they eneter restricted areas?

Not if they enter these areas "as a member of the general public."  That
wouldn't apply to emergency responders, but their doses are best estimated
after the smoke clears and the dust settles, IMHO.

>Is it "Occupational doses are recieved by persons:
>
>1) in a restricted area;
>2) in the course of employment;
>
>either of which the individual's assigned duties must involve exposure to
>radiation and to radioactive materials...."

Yes.  The key phrase is "assigned duties."  If a person is being required or
paid to be there and/or to do something there, it's an "assigned duty."
Albert Lee Vest          The Ohio State University
Health Physicist                 B-042 Graves Hall
(614)292-0122                 333 West 10th Avenue
"Action brings good fortune" - Syd Barrett
"Rock n roll" - John Goodman     Columbus OH 43210
My employer did not review or approve this message.