MANUAL COMPACTORS

Hello Radsafers,
      Thanks to everyone sending me information on manual compactors.  I apolo-
gize to everyone for stirring up a debate on hepa filters and explosion proof
cabinets.  Yes, hepa filters and explosion proof cabinets are important if you
are compacting RAM and volatile waste. But, the need for those extras depends
on what you are compacting.  I need a compactor not to be used for Non-decayed
RAM or LS Fluid, but for DECAYED material that meets the requirments of the
State of Alabama's exempt quantities and concentrations and my university's 3%
of the State's regulations.  This waste is decayed well below these limits and
can be considered as ordinary trash.  I do not wish to throw this out into the
green dumpster outside.  Instead I get a one time approval from the State and
send the waste to a commercial landfill.  The problem is the new vendor who
handles our decayed waste has increased their rates per drum. So more in a drum
the less money.  Maybe someday I will be able to get the real thing for RAM.

Thanks again,

Daren Strickland
RSO
University of Alabama
'Life is like a box of chocolates......Oh forget it! :) '