Re(2): High dose for March

I can only assume that Landauer checked the controls sent in the shipment.  One
interesting point about shipping.  I have talked to another TLD vendor who says
they no longer label their TLD shipment as "Radiation Sensitive".  Sometimes the
shippers tend to place these next to the radioactive material because the labels
kind of look the same (go figure).  It is hoped that if you request a formal
investigation they would give you one.

At ORNL we ship TLDs regularly and have had our transit dosimeters show a dose
on occasion.   One problem we have seen is that certain airports have outdated
X-ray equipment which yielded measurable doses.  These units operated by placing
the package inside and closing a door.  The conveyor types don't show much dose
response on TLDs.

We also use a shipper that doesn't handle any radioactive material (that is when
our shipping department doesn't do us a "favor" by going with the lowest cost
carrier).

Let us know what happened when you find out.

Rob Gunter
ORNL