High Doses for March

Hello, All:

Regarding the high doses on Landauer read badges in March, YES!  We have
not only noticed, but also immediately asked for repeat readings.  We badge
2200 on the main campus, and 200 at the Cyclotron.  At the Cyclotron, we
normally see a handfull (1 - 5) of readings in the range of 10 to 30 mRem.
The controls were sent in March, everything normal here, but we strangely
came up with 45 people with doses in the range of 10-50 mRem.  (Many were
people who were not even here and did not wear the badge that month).  No
unusual work was performed to cause the readings.  This has happened in the
past, and we find the badges were misread and the new readings were
minimal.  Yes, Landauer's response is a shrug on these things.  We have had
to press them.  In fact, I put them on "probation" for this yearly
contract.  I notified the management that we were sick of the problems and
lackadaisical attitude towards this major account, and called them here for
a meeting to air our laundry list.  They have been much better in recent
months.  But, as you see, things still happen.  It is interesting to know
others are having problems.  It pretty much eliminates the unusual
transport reason, since we are all in different locations.

All comments herein contained are my own opinions and/or experiences and
are not necessarily those of my employer or institution.

Kristin Erickson, Radiation Safety Officer
Office of Radiation, Chemical and Biological Safety
C124 Research Complex-Eng.
Michigan State University
East Lansing, Michigan 48824
Telephone: (517) 355-5008   Fax: (517)353-4871   Email: 10525kfb@msu.edu