re: High Dose/Landauer

Radsafers,

As I see it, there are three possibilities for the high exposures noted, two
of which have been discussed at some length on this recently:

	1)  The dosimeter processor could have mis-read the badges.
	2)  The badges could have been exposed during shipment.
	3)  The doses might have been real.

As regards item 2, we have experienced it on one occasion that we know of.  We
process our own dosimeters (conveniently eliminating item 1 as a possibility)
but must send dosimeters out on occasion for inter-comparisons, NVLAP
performance testing and the like.

On one of our shipments we found a significant transit dose.  Historically, we
see background values of around 10-20 mR for shipments such as these.  The
controls included with this shipment indicated as much as 300 mR signal and as
little as about 80 mR, which means that the geometry of the exposure probably
included a large gradient.  Most likely, there was a point source located
adjacent to our shipping container at some point during it's travels.  The
badges were not arranged in any particular order in the container so there was
no way for us to determine how much transit dose any one particular test badge
might have received.  We were unable to positively identify the source of the
exposure.

It is conceivable, though not very likely, that the exposure occurred on the
own warehouse.  Most likely, it occurred while Federal Express had custody of
the shipment.  Unfortunately for us, this particular shipment was one of our
NVLAP performance test groups.  The incident caused us a great deal of grief
and jeopardized our laboratory certification.

The point of relating this experience is that, while we could not pinpoint the
cause, we _did_ find out that neither Federal Express nor UPS would guarantee
segregation of our dosimeters from radioactive materials shipments.  Airborne
Express, on the other hand, said they would.  We switched to them and haven't
had a problem since.  Of course, we might not have had another problem with
the other guys either, but why risk it?

Jack D. Topper
Dosimetrist
PG&E Diablo Canyon
jdt4@pge.com

Naturally, my employer(s) reserve the right to disavow all knowledge of my
actions on the Internet and will assume no responsibility whatsoever therefor.