AAHP survey (6/95 HPS newsletter)

I thought I would offer my unsought opinion relating to one of the questions
in the AAP survey, just to see if I can stir something up.

Question: Should the ABHP have minimum academic degree requirements?

Comment:

There have been applicants who excessively met the technical
course requirements and experience requirements, but for one
reason or another never got a degree.  These persons should be
eligible for certification (in my opinion).

The stated purpose of certification by the ABHP is to encourage
the study of health physics.  What population more needs that
encouragement than those who lack degrees?  The current
certification program is not designed to be a competency
certification program.  Although many employers use it as such,
and it in fact has been quite effective in that role, a program
to serve that need would be very different and in many ways
incompatible with the current role.  As best as I can see the
desire to include a minimum degree requirement is linked to the
competency issue.  If a candidate has the credentials
demonstrating the required science knowledge (which is needed
because the ABHP is not set up to test for that knowledge) and
meets other experience requirement then that person should be
eligible to enter the certification process.

My bias:  I was on the Board when the ABHP established the 'no
degree' criteria, and strongly supported this position.  I
obviously disagree with the current Board position.

Added suggestion:

Some time ago the ABHP adopted a requirement that the candidate
demonstrate evidence of professional level work via a written or
published document, authored by the candidate.  Perhaps it is
time to refine the evaluation of this 'performance' requirement.
Since meeting this includes papers published in any of various
journals this clearly relates to encouraging the study of health
physics.

SLABACK@MICF.NIST.GOV
   ...a little risk, like a bit of spice, adds flavor to life