Marie Curie & Rutherford

Arrrrgh.

My recollection that Ernest Rutherford was one of those who thought
Marie took tactical advantage of her chronic illness was in error.
The reference I was thinking of actually had Rutherford trying to
convince Meyer that she wasn't using her illness to her advantage.

But in tracking that down, I found the following Rutherford quotes
regarding  Marie: "As you know she is very obstinent"  "Mme Curie is
a rather difficult person to deal with. She has the advantages and at
the same time the disadvantages of being a woman" "for you know she
is inclined to raise difficulties". These can be found in an amazing
collection of correspondence: Rutherford and Boltwood - Letters on
Radioactivity" by Lawrence Badash. Yale University Press 1969.
Clearly, I am guilty of being intentionally annoying by citing those
particular quotes. But, in my defense, the latter point out how the
standard stuff one reads about Curie, Rutherford and the rest is one
dimensional. The private backstabbing, intrigue and scandal among the
great pioneers in our field was as good as it gets. Not that any of
that is entertaining, of course :-)

Paul Frame
Professional Training Programs
ORISE