RE: AAHP Certification

In the ongoing discussion it is important to recognize that health physics is a
relatively young discipline and only in recent (say 30) years become a distinct
profession.  There are artifacts from the transition that are simply a fact of
life.  At the turn of the century most engineers did not have degrees, but I
belive that today most people would agree that in the interest of public
safety, only degreed, licensed structural engineers should "seal" structural
plans.  Likewise, there once was a time when physicians learned their practice
soley by apprenticeship, but I don't think that the public would be well served
by returning to that training model.  During the transition, experienced
engineers and physicians were not removed from practice, but steady progress
toward formal education and certification was still a worthwhile goal, and has
served the public well.

I think that the competent practice of health physics is just as serious a
public health concern as is the competent practice of medicine or engineering.
A formal process for demonstrating competence in the professional and technical
aspects should be _required_ before anyone be allowed to practice health
physics independently.  Even though this did not happen in the past, for a
variety of historical reasons, it is still an appropriate policy _today_.

This proposal should not divide the HP community.  Does anyone think that
radiation control does not involve a substantial health threat?  Shouldn't an
abjective demonstration of competence be just as important in HP as in
medicine?  And within the profession there is room for everyone.  Just as there
are jobs for engineering techs, non-PE engineers, physician's assistants, and
non-CPA accountants, there will always be jobs for HP techs and non-certified
HPs inside large organizations who are able to judge the applicant's competence
on their own.  But external reviews and independent practice should be
undertaken only by those with demonstrated competence.

And why should requiring approved degrees cause concern?  The purpose for
establishing training and experience requirements is to protect public health
and safety, not encourage or discourage a "career ladder."  Such a policy would
have to be phased in. For example, those with degrees conferred before 1998
must be in a technical field (current policy) and those conferred after 1998
must be by an approved program.  It is also my preference that related,
technical degrees _always_ be allowed, but they should be scrutinized carefully
by the Board (for consistency with approved HP programs), and double the
exeperience should be required.  This is consistent with policies for most
states' PE registration and a physician's opportunity to "challange" the
boards.

Of course, ABHP certification does not imply perfect competence in every aspect
of HP, nor does the absence of certification imply incompetence.  Obtaining
certification should be viewed as _prima facia_ evidence that the holder has
attained the _minimum_ level of competence to engage in the _independent_
practice of health physics, just as certification in, say, radiology or general
surgery.  Whether in HP or another profession, certification is only the
starting point for judging competence, not the last word.

And I am sure this will not be the last word on this subject, either.

David Scherer