Low energy pocket dosimeters

 Does anyone know of a source for low energy pocket ion chambers
 (self-reading)? Our purchasing department claims they are no longer available.
 Alternatively, we need a method for getting real time measurements of the
 total dose from exposure to a pulsed x-ray system with the following
 characteristics: 50 nanosecond pulse, 25 pulses per second, 150 kVp and 1
 microseivert per pulse at 1 meter (according to the manufacturer).

 The dosimeters are to be used by nontechnical personnel (security guards) and
 are not intended to be record dosimetry. Our primary concerns are expense and
 ease of use.

 In a related issue, virtually the only instruments we have found that could
 detect the radiation emitted by this unit are integrating ion chambers. None
 of the event detecting instruments we have are useful. We tried organic and
 NaI scintillators, compensated and uncompensated G-Ms and semiconductor
 detectors coupled to analog and digital counters. Low end (cheap) integrating
 ion chambers are getting hard to find.

 (This is unreviewed by anyone with clout.  Any opinions expressed are my own
 and may or may not have the slightest relationship to those of The Boeing
 Company.)
 Thanks,
 Richard W. Edwards, Analyst          The Boeing Company
 Phone: (206) 393-1999                P.O. Box 3707, M/S 6Y-38
 Fax:   (206) 393-3060                Seattle, WA  98124-2207