Re: Assisting in Physicist's Training

     I recommend that you allow the physicist observe the day to day
operations, particularly with the tech's and hp's.  They may even be able to
assist in waste processing, lab surveys, etc. after observing for a few
weeks.  We have had student assistants do this and they reported learning
quite alot about "operational health physics".  In this setting it seems
neither party should expect to be reimbursed.

>A question for all of you out there, particularly those in a
>university/hospital setting.  If a physicist (not necessarily
>health or medical) asked to work in your radiation safety office
>for a few months to get some experience, how would you handle it?
>This individual is preparing to take ACR certification exams, and
>needs some radiation safety training and experience.
>
>If you're generally short-staffed like we are, you have little time
>to spend training other individuals who don't absolutely need it.
>Do we charge for our services?   Any comments or suggestions would
>be appreciated.
>
>Mary Beth Taormina
>Radiation Safety Manager
>Virginia Commonwealth University