Re: Assisting in Physicist's Training

     Since the individual doesn't have the background to provide you with
     any assistance with your current job accountabilities, I suggest that
     you consider the following:

     1. Establish a schedule whereby the individual can observe various
     functions being performed

     2. Establish the period of observation .. such as a few days a week
     for a predetermined period. Maybe several months is just not
     acceptable

     3. Who will the individual report to? Will you have control over when
     and where he observes. If it is determined that the individual is just
     in the way, you need the authority to say, time to go home today, or,
     your time with us is at an end

     4. Provide the individual with all operating and maintenance procedure
     prior to coming to your facility. This will reduce the potential for a
     "multitude" of questions, which will only alienate your staff

     5. IF you do have the individual come into your facility to observe,
     inform all of your staff as to the reasons why the individual is
     there, and, what authority they have, and what they should do in case
     there is a problem

     6. IF you allow the individual to perform a job function, which your
     staff are trained for, with documentation, make sure that you document
     this individual's activities and training .. Make sure that the
     individual is supervised until deemed competent, as you would with
     your own staff

     KEY POINT: Establish the ground rules upfront. DON'T wait until there
     is a problem, which there will be.

     Guess that should do it!

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics