Re: Assisting in Physicist's Training

>A question for all of you out there, particularly those in a
>university/hospital setting.  If a physicist (not necessarily
>health or medical) asked to work in your radiation safety office
>for a few months to get some experience, how would you handle it?
>This individual is preparing to take ACR certification exams, and
>needs some radiation safety training and experience.

Hi Mary

The first thing that I would consider is where would this person sit!? Apart
from that, I would not be to keen to take someone onboard who had no
training in HP as such a person would have to be "handfed". On the other
hand, being a physicist, this person would have fairly highly developed
skills and should be able to pick up things rapidly. (I'm thinking out aloud
here).

CONCLUSION: Once I worked out where this person would sit, I would take them
on. My suggested program would include:

1. A day or three of reading: types of IR, interactions of IR with matter,
radiation units (SI and Imperial!!), radiation detectors, radiobiology,
philosophy of radiation protection, overview of advisory bodies (ICRP, NCRP,
IAEA etc..), overview of legislation, structure of radiation safety program
at your University.

2. Give the person those little necessary jobs you have been putting off!

3. Take him/her on inspections.

4. Ask her/him to "check" any work you have done.

I would not pay the person nor charge them.

Regards

                        Alex Zapantis
                        Radiation Safety Officer
                        Queensland University of Technology