Re: training for shipping/manifesting

Sorry for posting this to the entire mailing; the direct email message was
returned undeliverable.

Denny,

Your power reactor contact was correct in many respects.
The USDOT requires training in 49 CFR 172 Subpart H for "hazmat employees"
. This broad definition (49 CFR 171.8) includes (but is not limited to)
someone who certifies shipments as being in propoer condition for
transportation.
49 CFR requires training in 3 major areas:
1) General Awareness
2) Function Specific
3) Safety Training.
The training is intended to be commensurate with job duties.  Someone who
packages radmat for transport needs different training from someone who
manufactures packages (etc..)
Another document relating to radwaste training in USNRC Information
Notice 79-19.  When generators shipped leaking drums and pyrophoric
material which caught fire into one of the disposal sites, the NRC
responded with the radwaste training requirement in IN 79-19.  This
may be an old document, I have heard of citations written as late as
1992. Basically 79-19 requires training inthe DOT transportation, NRC
disposal, and disposal facility burial criteria.

Having been an instructor for one of the currently, operating disposal
sites for nearly 5 years,  I founded Applied Radwaste Management, Inc.
We provide the training you mentioned (HM-126F). If you care to
discuss any or all of the above please call.

If you send your mailing address, I will send a brochure describing
the training, course content, price, etc.

Charles Smith
Applied Radwaste Management, Inc.
(803) 926-8558
smithch01@delphi.com