Cleaning Titanium Tritide Foil

Radsafers:

An investigator here at MSU would like to "re-deploy" a used titanium
tritide foil for use in a custom EC device.  He is concerned that the foil
is contaminated with organic material (other than the CH3I that he is
currently working with).  We are contemplating cleaning the foil with
acetone and hexane to remove those organics (5 - 10 mls).  The source
activity is approx. 0.5 Ci.

Has anybody performed this type of operation before, and if so:

1)      To what degree, if any, was activity removed from the source?

2)      What solvents did you use other than those mentioned above?

3)      Did you simply rinse the source with a stream of solvent, or did you
lightly "scrub" the source with Kimwipes, Q-tips or          something
similar (at this point I'm pretty much against anything "physical")?

4)      What contamination prevention precautions (other than those normally
employed) did you utilize?

5)      What is the likelyhood of an airborne contamination component?

Thanks in advance for any advice/comments.

-Erick
| Erick Lindstrom               |
| Radiation Safety Officer      |
| 309 Montana Hall              |