Re: Cleaning Titanium Tritide Foil

Eric:

Suggest you contact the manufacturer of the source.  My expereince
 suggests that one should be  very careful about handling and/or
cleaning  the source. How old is the source?  May want to let radsafers
know what the manufacturer says.

Best regards,

George Anastas

> From:          avrel@gemini.oscs.montana.edu (Erick Lindstrom)
> Subject:       Cleaning Titanium Tritide Foil

> Radsafers:

 a used titanium
> tritide foil for use in a custom EC device.   We are contemplating cleaning the foil with
> acetone and hexane to remove those organics (5 - 10 mls).  The source
> activity is approx. 0.5 Ci.
>
> Has anybody performed this type of operation before, and if so:

or did you
> lightly "scrub" the source with Kimwipes, Q-tips or          something
> similar (at this point I'm pretty much against anything "physical")?
>

> 5)      What is the likelyhood of an airborne contamination component?
>

> +-------------------------------+
> | Erick Lindstrom               |
> | Radiation Safety Officer      |
> | 309 Montana Hall              |
> | Montana State University      |
> | Bozeman, MT  59717-0244       |
> | Phone: (406) 994-2108         |
> | Fax:	 (406) 994-4792         |
> | avrel@gemini.oscs.montana.edu |
> +-------------------------------+
George Anastas, M.P.H., P.E., C.H.P., Director
Environmental Health and Safety and
University Radiation Safety Officer
California State University, Sacramento
6000 J Street
Sacramento, CA  95819-6002
Telephone 916/278-6456
FAX 916/278-5960
anastas@csus.edu

"The views expressed herein are those of the
author and do not necessarily reflect the views
of California State University, Sacramento,
California State University, the State of
California or any of its political subdivisions.
This posting is disclaimed."