Release of I-131 Patients

Hi everyone

I'm a radiochemist at a nuclear power plant in South Africa, and am
involved in our environmental monitoring programme.

This topic of releasing I-131 patients interests me as last year on
two occasions we detected significant levels of I-131 in the sludge
from the sewage treatment plant a few kilometres away.  As it was
very unlikely, for various reasons, to have originated from our
nuclear plant, we investigated other potential sources of I-131.
With the help of the government Dep. of Health, two patients were
traced, who live in the nearby village, who had received I-131 about
a week and a half before each of the incidents.  The levels in the
sludge were about 1500 Bq/kg!  In both cases, the succeeding samples
had reduced I-131 activity corresponding very well to I-131's
half-life.

As I am not a radiologist, I would like to know a bit more about what
sort of doses patients typically receive, and how soon they are
released from hospital.  (The information we have indicated that they
received approximately 220MBq.)

Regards

Andrew Welsh
Koeberg Nuclear Power Station