Virus Info

Hello all,

Being the one who is responsible for the E-Mail directory, I took this
warning seriously, but know it is impossible for the text file e-mail
list to carry a virus.  Still, I checked my computer with a
virus checker capable of detecting the Steath B virus and it ran clean.
Also, the "bulletinboard" is really just our WWW site, which happens to
be on the University of Michigan's computer system, which is checked for
viruses. I also looked up the Steath Virus, which is a Boot Virus and
does not infect programs or files anyway. Your friend got it from a
floppy disk that has the virus on it. The virus might infect a computer
from a "cold start" with the infected floppy in the disk drive even if
you have virus protection software running.

But your warning about checking your computers if you do downloading is
a good one. Downloaded programs can have viruses, even some off the
Commercial sites.

BTW. While downloading the e-mail list is fine for personal use,
commercial use of the list is in violation of the copyright and will not
be tolerated. The list is updated frequently, and I am not sure why you
would want to download it anyway.

Bruce Busby
http://www.umich.edu/~bbusby/
Radiation and Health Physics WWW site