Re: Safety Bulletin Boards

>Last week there was an announcement of a Safety  related
>list of internet addresses.  One of our personnel downloaded
>the list of addresses from the net, and later found the
>STEALTH B virus on her machine.
> This does not assure that the bulletin board was the source,
>but please be careful and use virus protection when
>downloading.  If anyone else finds the virus, please alert the
>bulletinboard that it  may be there.

I've run into the STEALTH group of viruses before, and found that they
infect the master boot sector of a disk.  The only way the STEALTH variants
can infect your hard disk is if an infected floppy is in your A: drive when
you boot your computer, so bulletin boards and ftp sites are not likely
sources of this virus.  Since there are a multitude of viruses that CAN be
acquired from downloading files, I check everything I get (I learned the
hard way with a wiped out hard disk).

Phil Connolly
University of Southern California
Radiation Protection Office