Re: Sheilding Software Inquiry

As read below:

I use Microshield for simplified geometrical conditions and works great.  It
is our intention to go out and bring in another Monte Carlo based s/w for
some complex tasks.

I wonder what would be the preference of RADSAFERS for electron/photon and
photon/neutron coupled codes?

I was adviced to choose ITS and MORSE due to their geometry inputs
similareities?

Thanks in advance.

>Most notably, in RSIC's Monte Carlo venue, MCNP.  A big burley
>program that can run on PCs if you don't mind taking a few
>weeks!  Also, EGS4 and FLUKA can be used for these purposes
>(particularly for accelerator shielding applications).
>
>>MicroShield is a point kernal program.  That is, it calculates dose
>>at a point by straight-line distances and attenuation from defined
>>sources.  Scatter is accounted for using a generic buildup factor,
>>typically for the last shielding material encountered.  The public
>>domain version of this routine, called QAD (for quick-and-dirty), is
>>available from the Radiation Shielding Information Center (RSIC) at
>>Oak Ridge.  QAD does the same calculation as MicroShield, but does
>>not have the nice, graphical front end for defining the problem
>>geometry.  The RSIC library also has several other, more sophisticated
>>programs for more complex geometries, including discrete ordinate and
>>Monte Carlo routines.
>>
>>Contacts:  MicroShield is by Grove Engineering, Atlanta.
>>           RSIC phone 615/574-6176, http://epicws.epm.ornl.gov/
>>
>>Dave Scherer
>>scherer@uiuc.edu
>-----------------------
>Michael P. Grissom
>mikeg@slac.stanford.edu
>Phone:  (415) 926-2346
>Fax:    (415) 926-3030

     Miroslav

PS. Standard disclaimers apply.
If I had an opinion, it sure wouldn't be mine... or my employer's!
Nazory nemusia v ziadnom pripade vyjadrovat postoj mojho zamestnavatela,
ba niekedy ani moje vlastne.
Miroslav Lieskovsky                               Health Physics Department
mirolies@nbnet.nb.ca                       Point Lepreau Generating Station
Phone  bus: (506) 659 2220 ext. 7421                    New Brunswick Power
Fax    bus: (506) 659 2003                             P.O. Box 10, Hwy 790
Phone  res: (506) 636 7629                                    Lepreau, N.B.
e-mail res: miroslav@mi.net                                 Canada, E0G 2H0