Re: TLDs - False Positive Betas

Steve:

TLD's do respond to beta, but the response is a function of the geometry
(ie thickness) of the TLD relative to the beta energy, and the overlying
filter or material.  Much work has been done in this area by PNL and I
believe that beta calibrations are addressed in the ISO standard.  The
TLD beta response is well known, and beta-IER dosimeters are used at some
of the national labs.  There are many published articles -- you might
want to try QUEST, and look at Chapter 5 in Vol 2 of Kase and Bjarngard,
or at an ancient paper by Kocher et al (Health Phys 18:311, 1970) which
gives a tabulation of the response of the Hanford dosimeter to betas of
various energies.

Ron Kathren