Re: TLDs - False Positive Betas

Dear Stu,

This happens to use once in a while.  When it does, according to our
vendor, the problem has normally been physical contamination (dust,
paint, solvent, etc.) of the chip in the "beta" position on the card.
It apparently gives a flash during the heat cycle that is easily
misidentified by the computer reader as a true dose.

My understanding is that it is identified when a human eyeball looks at
the glow curve.  The curve will display a "spike" or some other type of
anomalous shape.

One other point; as you are from Northeast Utilities, I am assuming
that your folks aren't working around low-energy x-ray systems.  That
can sometimes be misID'd as a beta exposure.

Jim Barnes, CHP
RSO
Rockwell International, Rocketdyne Division