Re: Electron Capture Detectors

>In our lab (analytical chemistry) we are using the famous Electron Capture
>Detectors with Ni-63. As radiation safety officer, and due to Dutch
>regulation, I have to give instructions.
>Does anyone of this group has good ideas for instructions, especially for
>analytical chemists/technicians who refuse to replace their GC-column with
>gloves on because they cannot do the job that way?

Is there a particular reason they should wear gloves?

I guess what I'm asking is, when you take the biennial leak tests, does the
detector come up leaking?

The Ni-63 in the detector is plated, and is not designed to dribble all over
the place.

On the other hand, if it does start to go, gloves would be a good preventitive.

What's the failure mode of the Ni-63 in ECD detectors?

>I myself have an idea to contaminate the top of the column with a fluorescent
>dye and use detect with UV-light. (BTW I'm still looking for a good dye).

This is from a long-ago radsafe post.  I have yet to try it out.

>> >I am working on an emergency exercise involving radioactive material.
>> >Is there a method to simulate radiaoctive contamination?
>>
>> We have used a powder that is only visible under a black light - very
>> effective since contamination is not "visible."
>
>In a simulations we ran, we used to use anthracene (spelling?) which was
>fluorescent under U.V. light. It was a very fine powder which spread easily.
>The Health & Safety people didn't like us using this, however, as it is a
>carcinogen apparently.
>
>We came up with a simple alternative - soap flakes. Cheaper brands seemed to
>be more fluorescent and when ground finely, a small amount managed to
>contaminate everything that came into contact with it. This included
>ambulance crew, ambulance, A&E staff, R/P staff and the decon suite. When the
>lights were turned off, areas of contamination showed up superbly.

Hope this helps.

John

*John DeLaHunt, EH&S      * 1125 Glen Avenue          *
*The Colorado College     * Colorado Springs, CO 80905*
*jdelahunt@cc.colorado.edu* VOX:  (719)389-6678       *
*        Owner:           * FAX:  (719)635-3177       *
*hazmat-l@cc.colorado.edu *                           *
***********This message is hereby disclaimed***********