Re: Storm Drain Disposal

I would be very cautious of disposing of anything in the storm drains.  Remember
the movie GATOR.  It surley will come back and haunt you...mike coogen sends

Subject: Storm Drain Disposal
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at hq2ccgw
Date:    7/31/95 10:42 AM

> Someone proposed disposing of radioactive material via storm sewers.
> I thought that the NRC/DOE/Agreement States prohibited required
> transfer of radioactve materials to licensed recipients only.  The
> sanitary sewer disposal is an exception to this principle, but I know
> of no such exception for storm sewers (or throwing it over the fence,
> either).

How about using effluent concentration limits in Appendix B Table 2 of
-10CFR 20?(or equivalent agreement state regulations). These concentrations
are for release to unrestricted areas .

BTW, I dont believe that "Disposal of RAM" in concentrations below the
regulatory limits  is  the same as "transfer of  licensed quantities of RAM".

Ninni Jacob
Radiation Safety Officer
University of Rhode Island/
Rhode Island Nuclear Science Center