Re[2]: Storm Drain Disposal

          Ahem,

          As a former USNRC inspector, I assure anyone that disposing of
          radioactive material of any kind, which was used or obtained for
          their use, which is not covered by a general license (such as
          lantern mantles, anti-static brushes, smoke detectors, etc.) is
          considered licensed material.  If there isn't a mechanism for
          disposal in the license of the user, it has to be transferred as
          implied by Mr. Coogan.

          Materials licenses will almost certainly specify how and how
          much may be disposed of.  For example, hospitals ROUTINELY send
          radioisotopes like I126 down the drain.  That is acceptable
          under the provisions of their license.  However, if they send
          too much, or the wrong type, e.g., they send I129 into the
          sewer, and they're required to hold it, or they don't have I129
          listed on their license, or they send too much at one time, or
          (ad infinitum) whatever, they're in trouble.

          I'm done pontificating.  Now I"ll jump back down from my
          soapbox.

          V/R
          George R. Cicotte
          Research Engineer