 Date: Fri, 4 Aug 95 15:18:20 -0500
 Sender: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
 From: gr_cicotte@ccmail.pnl.gov
 To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
 Subject: Re[2]: Storm Drain Disposal

           Ahem,

           As a former USNRC inspector, I assure anyone that disposing of
           radioactive material of any kind, which was used or obtained for
           their use, which is not covered by a general license (such as
           lantern mantles, anti-static brushes, smoke detectors, etc.) is
           considered licensed material.  If there isn't a mechanism for
           disposal in the license of the user, it has to be transferred as
           implied by Mr. Coogan.

           Materials licenses will almost certainly specify how and how
           much may be disposed of.  For example, hospitals ROUTINELY send
           radioisotopes like I126 down the drain.  That is acceptable
           under the provisions of their license.  However, if they send
           too much, or the wrong type, e.g., they send I129 into the
           sewer, and they're required to hold it, or they don't have I129
           listed on their license, or they send too much at one time, or
           (ad infinitum) whatever, they're in trouble.

           I'm done pontificating.  Now I"ll jump back down from my
           soapbox.

           V/R
           George R. Cicotte
           Research Engineer