Radon in low quality housing -Reply

>I am researching wether there is an increased risk of exposure to
>Radon in low quality housing.....
> Any thoughts?

It might be that there are at least two intertwined yet distinct
issues here: the levels of radon in low quality housing and
the risk of lung cancer to occupants of low quality housing.

Not knowing the answer, I would guess that radon levels are lower in
low quality housing for several reasons. Needless to say, such a
guess might be completely wrong.

1.Low quality houses might be less likely to have basements and more
likely to have a crawl spaces.

2.Low quality housing is less likely to have air conditioning and
more likely to have open windows.

3.Low quality housing is more likely to be an apartment/tenement
and less likely to be a detached house.

4.Low quality housing is more likely to be found in urban areas,
where wind speeds are substantially less than in suburban areas. The
higher the wind speed, the lower the pressure in the building and the
higher the radon influx.

Why might occupants of lower quality housing be more likely to
develop lung cancer?

1. They might include a larger percentage of smokers.

2. The urban areas they dwell in have higher levels of air
pollutants.

3. Their occupations might expose them to higher levels airborne
dust/fumes/fibers etc.

For what its worth, today is the Department of Energy's 18th
birthday. That's the legal drinking age in some places. Happy
Birthday!

Paul Frame
Professional Training Programs
Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education
framep@orau.gov