Re: Radon in low quality housing -Reply

On radon risks in "low quality" housing, Paul Frame resourcefully
notes the distinction between the question of radon in such housing and of
risks of lung cancer in "low quality" housing.  On the second point I can
add some insight, based on a paper on 119 communities in the Los
Angeles Metropolitan area in 1970 (Public Health Reviews vol 19, 1991/2,
pp. 147-161.  The air pollution variable contributed nothing in a
path analysis and regrssion analysis, but population density (persons
per acre) made a strong contribution no matter what other variables
were considered; housing density (persons per room) was negatively
asociated by both regression and path analysis.  Per capita income
also was negatively associated with lung cancer. (the less income
the more lung cancer) "Low quality" housing needs to be better defined
as some of Paul's comments emphasize. If you want a reprint, send mailing
address to me.  John Goldsmith (gjohn@bgumail.bgu.ac.il) Ben Gurion
University, Faculty of Health Sciences. POB 653, Beer Sheva 84 120
Israel