Re: Fume Hoods in Rad Labs

I strongly urge you to consider PVC Acid Digestion Hoods for your RAD
labs and even more strongly urge you to avoid stainless steel.

The Dept of Radiological Health Sciences here at Colorado State U moved
into a new building in 1989. We have had to repair our stainless steel
"rad" hoods at least once a year since then. Stainless will not handle
acid vapors, and if your campus will be involved in any anlyses where a
tough matrix must be destroyed, you will need acids.

After many meetings with our RSO and the Environmental Health Services
department at CSU we selected a PVC Acid Digestion Hood from Labconco.
This hood is the perchloric type with full washdown capabilities
including the PVC stack. From our experience PVC will last much longer
than stainless.

If you would like more info, please contact me directly.